WorldCat Local lets you search all of our digital and physical collections with a single click. WorldCat Local has been specially structured for users of the KB and is a local variant of WorldCat.org, an international catalogue that enables searches of collections of thousands of libraries around the world.
Above all, WorldCat Local offers huge added value for less-expert users as all collections are available through a single search portal. But WorldCat Local is also of interest to experienced users, not least because it includes individual articles in academic journals.
You can of course continue to use the existing KB Catalogus for more advanced searches and greater subject-specific focus.
Easy access to digital and physical publications
With WorldCat Local, a single portal gives you direct access to the KB’s digital collection–e-books, e-magazines and digitized books, newspapers and magazines– and you can also request physical publications. You have to be a member of the KB to access the physical collection and some digital services.
Other benefits of WorldCat Local:
- rapid click-through to other collections around the world;
- direct link to full-text publications available in Google Books;
- searchable contents and synopses;
- make and share literature lists;
- export titles to a reference manager such as EndNote and Zotero;
- searches using the WorldCat Local mobile site: http://kb.worldcat.org/m/
- share search results via social media.
Service under development
WorldCat Local is still developing rapidly. It also covers other libraries. Feedback from users around the world is collected and used to improve the service. The KB is part of this and we would like to receive your feedbackon this service. We will issue regular updates on new features and improvements.
Free membership and discounts for students and other groups
The following groups are eligible for a 50% discount on KB membership:
- Friends of the KB
- University, open university and higher and intermediate vocational education students
- Holders of an Ooievaarspas
KB membership is free for:
- Staff of university and higher vocational institution libraries
- Secondary school students (5 HAVO or 5/6 VWO) who are 17 years of age or older
- GO and IDM students
** Please contact us if you are not yet 17 but would like to use the KB collection.*
The student discount will be granted automatically if your institution is listed as a participating educational institution. Others who are eligible for free membership or a discount can apply at the information desk. Please bring valid identification and proof of address **(such as a bank statement) with you and, if applicable, **proof that you are entitled to a discount.