KB membership allows online access to all our digital collections and services. Please go to our Digital resources page for an overview. In addition you can request publications from our stacks for perusal in our reading rooms or sometimes for borrowing.
Licensed digital content is available for private use only. Dutch nationals have worldwide access. Foreign nationals have access only while they reside in the Netherlands, either temporarily or permanently. We require proof of address to verify this.
Please apply for membership online or at our reception desk. Membership is available to those of seventeen years and up. Upon registration you will be e-mailed your account number which gives you immediate access to all digital services. You add a password of your choosing. If you visit our library, you will be issued a library card (KB ‘jaarpas’).
- Go to our membership page and keep your Dutch DigiD information at hand. If you do not have DigiD, you can identify yourself with a scan or a copy of your ID and a proof of address. According to Dutch privacy laws, any identifying numbers may be made illegible. Please forward these documents to the KB registration desk (e-mail or PO Box 90407, 2509 LK Den Haag)
- You can also apply for membership at our reception desk. Please bring your proof of identity and address.
- Once you have become a KB member, you will be issued an account number for access to all digital services and for requesting publications from our stacks. You add your own password.
- When you first visit our library, please show your account number and your proof of identity to our reception desk staff. You will be issued a library card (KB ‘jaarpas’).
- Are you not yet seventeen but need our services anyway? Exceptions may be made if you contact us us in writing.
- Use the membership page to renew your membership.
- KB membership is not renewed automatically. The KB will send you an e-mail about six weeks before expiration of your membership. If you do not renew, your membership will be terminated.
- There is no need to cancel your membership. If you do not renew it, it will end automatically. We would like to know the reasons for your cancellation. Perhaps your information may be able to help us improve our services.
- Change of address? Forgot your password? Go to our membership page.
Membership at a discount
- 50% discount for students at Dutch universities, colleges and intermediate vocational training institutes – see the list of participating educational institutions
- 50% discount for Friends of the KB or those with an Ooievaarspas; this membership is available only on-site.
- 100% discount for students of 5 ‘havo’ or 5/6 ‘vwo’ aged 17 or older
- 100% discount for students of information management (GO or IDM)
- 100% discount for staff from other university libraries.