Borrowing books from other libraries
Table of contents
As a member of the KB or as a nonprofit organisation, you can borrow books from other Dutch or foreign libraries via the KB. We call this Inter Library Loans (ILL). This page explains how ILL works and how much it costs.
Have you found the book you are looking for online?
The easiest way to request books is via WorldCat Discovery (WCD), as you don't have to fill in all the details on the order form yourself. So check whether the publication is available in WCD first:
- Go to WorldCat Discovery.
- Use the search bar to look for the material you need, a book for example.
- Click on the material you need in the search bar.
- Under ‘Access Options’ click on ‘Order via the KB’. You will be redirected to our web store.
- In the web store, click on ‘ILL loans’.
- Fill in the form and pay to complete your request.
If you cannot find the publication you are looking for in WCD, go directly to the ILL order form and fill in your details.
We cannot guarantee the exact delivery date for books from other libraries as we are dependent on the delivery times of those libraries. Delivery times will therefore vary per request. Books from foreign libraries can take several weeks to arrive.
Borrowing books from another library as a KB member
Certain rules apply when borrowing books from other libraries.
Books from other Dutch libraries
- You can collect these books at the KB lending desk, or we can send them to your home address on request. The home delivery costs amount to €6.50. You can choose the option you prefer when putting your order in.
- You may borrow these books for up to four months. However, the library loaning the book may ask for it to be returned before the end of the four months. If so, we must send the book back earlier.
Books from foreign libraries
- Books from foreign libraries may only be consulted in the KB Reading Rooms. These books may not be taken home.
- You have four weeks to read and consult them in the Reading Room. Requests to keep the books in the Reading Room for longer are sometimes honoured.
These rules only apply to ILL. You can request books from the KB collection via the KB catalogue.
It costs €13 per book to borrow books from another Dutch or foreign library.
You must pay in advance using iDeal or by credit card. Your money will be reimbursed if we are unable to deliver your book. We will cancel your order and notify you of this by e-mail.
Borrowing books from another library on behalf of a nonprofit organisation
Only nonprofit organisations (i.e. organisations that are not run at a profit) can make use of ILL. The books they order will be sent to them.
If you are requesting a book on behalf of an organisation, please register your organisation with the KB before making your request. We will process your registration within three working days. Once your account has been activated, you can make requests using your log-in details.
These are the costs for requesting books from other libraries:
- book from another Dutch library: €19.50 per book
- book from a foreign library: €29 per book
You will be sent a monthly collective invoice for these fees.