Table of contents
Do you need a scan of an item such as a chapter from a book or a magazine article, and do you have a permanent residence in the Netherlands? You can order scans of material from our collections and from other Dutch and foreign libraries. It is not possible to request entire publications. The scans are black and white and you will receive them via email as a PDF file. This page explains how you can order scans and the associated costs.
Scan or reproduction
Would you like to order high-quality digital reproductions of material from the KB's collections, such as newspapers or other material from the special collections? Then opt for a reproduction instead of a scan.
Is what you're looking for already online?
It may be the case that what you are looking for can be viewed online if you are a member of the KB. Sometimes it can even be found online for free, so it may be worth checking this before ordering a scan. To find out, have a look at our overview of online resources or search via WorldCat Discovery.
The easiest way to order a scan is through WorldCat Discovery (WCD). You will then not have to fill in all the information in the order form yourself. So first check whether your material is in WCD:
- Go to WorldCat Discovery.
- Use the search bar to search for a book or other material.
- In the search results, click on the material you are looking for.
- Under 'Access Options', click on 'Order via the KB'. You will then be redirected to our webshop.
- Click on 'Order black and white scans'.
- Fill in the form and pay to complete your order.
Is what you're looking for not in WCD? Then go directly to the order form for black and white scans and fill in all the details yourself.
Anyone can order scans from the KB, even non-members.
Order scans as a private individual
The costs of ordering scans as a private individual are:
- KB members: € 6,50 per article from a magazine or chapter from book, regardless of number of pages. It is not possible to request entire publications.
- Non-members: € 10 per article from a magazine or chapter from book, regardless of number of pages. It is not possible to request entire publications.
You are to pay in advance via iDeal or credit card. If we cannot provide the scans, your payment will be refunded. In that case, we will send you an email to inform you your order will be cancelled.
Scan requests from a nonprofit organization
Only nonprofit organizations (organizations that do not aim to make a profit) can order scans of material from the KB collection and other libraries in the Netherlands and abroad.
Are you ordering on behalf of an organization? Then we request that you register the organization before you can order. We will process your registration within 3 working days. Once your account is active, you can place orders using your login details.
The costs of ordering scans as an organization are as follows:
- Scan from the Netherlands: € 10 per article from a magazine or chapter from book, regardless of number of pages. It is not possible to request entire publications.
- Scan from abroad: € 16 per article from a magazine or chapter from book, regardless of number of pages. It is not possible to request entire publications.
Payment is made via a monthly collective invoice.
Delivery time of ordered scans
You will usually receive scans of material from the KB collections within a few working days. It may take longer for material to arrive from other Dutch libraries. It can sometimes take up to a few weeks to receive material from foreign libraries. We are dependent on the response time of the supplying library.