Foekje is a qualified conservator-restorer. Her current work mainly involves collection management: ensuring that the printed collections are stored sustainably, and remain accessible. Her areas of expertise include:
- collection management
- sustainable climate strategies
- preventive preservation
- risk management
- ‘first aid’ for heritage collections (salvage)
Network and collaborations
- Board member Blue Shield, National Committee of the Netherlands
- Fellow International Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works (FIIC)
- Member of International Committee for Conservation of the International Council of Museums (ICOM-CC)
- Member of Institute of Conservation (ICON)
- Member of American Institute for Conservation (AIC)
- Consortium of European Research Libraries (CERL) Security Working Group
- Haags Preventie Netwerk
- Klimaatnetwerk (network of Dutch cultural heritage professionals focussing on climatic conditions for collections)
- Loddo, M., Boersma, F., Kleppe, M., & Vingerhoets, K. 'Experimenting with 360° and virtual reality representations as new access strategies to vulnerable physical collections: Two case studies at the KB, National Library of the Netherlands.' IFLA Journal, 034003522110230, 2021.
- Taylor, J., & Boersma, F. 'Managing Environments for Collections: The Impact of International Loans on Sustainable Climate Strategies.' Studies in Conservation, 63, sup1, 2018, pp. 257-261.
- ŁUkomski, M., Beltran, V., Boersma, F., Druzik, J., Freeman, A., Strojecki, M., Learner, T., & Taylor, J. 'Monitoring Acoustic Emission in an Epidemiological Pilot Study of a Collection of Wooden Objects.' Studies in Conservation, 63, sup 1, 2018, pp. 181-186.
- Druzik, J., & Boersma, F. Epidemiology: Basic Ideas Applied to Museum Collections. A Report from an Experts Meeting Organized by the Getty Conservation Institute, J. Paul Getty Trust, 15 en 16 juni 2015.
- Boersma, F. 'Preventive conservation—more than ‘dusting objects’? An overview of the development of the preventive conservation profession.' Journal of the Institute of Conservation, 39(1), 2016, pp. 3-17.
- Boersma, F., Dardes, K., & Druzik, J. 'Precaution, Proof, and Pragmatism. Evolving Perspectives on the Museum Environment.' Conservation Perspectives: the GCI newsletter, 29.2, 2014, pp. 4-9.
- Boersma, F. 'Where’s the Fire? Teamwork for Integrated Emergency Management.' Conservation Perspectives: the GCI newsletter, 23.1 (Spring), 2008, pp. 20-23.
- Boersma, F. Experts’ Roundtable on Sustainable Climate Management Strategies, The Getty Conservation Institute, 2007.
- Boersma, F. 'Our Lord in the Attic, a preventive conservation case study.' Conservation Perspectives: the GCI newsletter, 22.1 (Spring), 2007, pp. 22-25.